Rationalilty

My neighbor clearcut his property a few years ago, mostly tall white pines, which had an impact on the vegetation of my property. For example, my shade garden became a heated hotbed, roasting my hostas. The increased exposure and sunlight boosted the regeneration of shelterwood, where food and shelter are an abundant supply for wildlife: squirrels, deer, fox, birds. I have to continually manage the regrowth to avoid overgrowth. His clear-cutting approach also imposed much vulnerability to the winds. I now have a lot of deadfall as only the sturdy and windfirm trees stand the test of time.

Although my neighbor tried to convince me to do the same clear-cutting method, the white pines that have stood for centuries still stand on my lot. Despite the emotionally charged conversation, I approached the situation with logic and reasoning, weighing the pros and the cons. Vilifying the land or my neighbor was not an option. Sure, piled with the heavy snow and ice, the limbs come crashing down, taking out whatever's under them. Stepping on pinecones barefoot is no picnic. Neither is removing sap from the hood of my car with mineral spirits and a razor blade. Clear-cutting was an eviction without notice for woodpeckers, chickadees, and morning doves. Moreover, cutting these trees would have not only changed the soil but also would have increased the temperature of the stream bordering my property which feeds Thomas Pond, a tributary to Sebago Lake, a feeder system for the Portland Water District.

So here's the thing, a property line is not going to negate the natural consequences of our decisions. But our power lies in our response to that. I grew up in the woods. I inherently and intuitively understand the effect of nature's response to human actions. In the fall my deciduous trees shed their leaves and the prevailing winds deliver them smack dab onto my neighbor's lawn. I could not have planned this any better myself. 

Exercise:
When we are passionate about a topic, we can easily become argumentative. Rationality can discharge explosive emotions.

Choose a topic that instills deep emotions.
Outline a persuasive argument from the opposite viewpoint.
Find a few points of common ground.
Prepare your viewpoint and counterarguments with facts and logic and reasoning.
Be patient.
When you disagree, do so respectfully.
If you must, take a break from the conversation.

Journal: 
When do I feel the need to defend myself?
What topics make me combative in conversation?

As much as possible, live peaceably among each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Receiving

Holiday Grief