Routines for Peak Performance

My neighbor has a rooster. I know this because I wake him up every morning. I get up every day at the same time. My dog's morning routine partly dictates my schedule, but I also value the first light of the day. The quality sleep I get energizes me to embrace the morning.

When I manage my energy, I manage my productivity. I also get my energy from high-quality supplements as well as a personalized nutritional plan. What we eat at certain times of the day is also essential for energy optimization. Similar to meal prepping, a productive day is all about the organization and routine. 

The first three hours of the workday are when I am most focused, so it makes sense to eliminate distractions and achieve the goal of the day. The brain becomes more creative when it is a little fatigued, so often those creative ideas will intuitively flow at the end of the workday. I do my best writing at night.

So here's the thing, beginning my day by checking the phone, email, and social media creates a reactive mindset. This hijacks productivity.   

Exercise: Create a routine for productivity.
  • Wake at the same time every day.
  • Create space for quiet time for personal reflection - reading, writing, meditating.
  • Eat healthy breakfast with lean protein, high fiber, and healthy fat.
  • Walk your dog - get outside.
  • Begin your day at work by setting the goal or outcome for the day.
  • Use a personal screensaver like Momentum, which keeps track of your to-do list and sends reminders.
  • You may want to use the Eisenhower Matrix, which prioritizes the urgency of your to-do list.
  • Use bright colors for your To-Do list. It should not match your decor.  
  • Then plan your day backward, outlining the steps and resources needed to achieve your goal. 
  • Tackle those tasks that require the most focus first. Do the deep work with no distractions. Think in terms of quality vs. quantity.
  • Eat a healthy lunch, and get outdoors for a brief walk.
  • Save your email and other laborious tasks for the end of the day.
  • Use a timer with start and end times for each of the tasks.
  • Be sure to get a fun workout after your workday to release stress and get a better night's sleep.
Journal: 
How do I allow distractions to sabotage my most focused work?
What is one thing I can immediately do differently?

My life's lesson: Productivity is about using my energy to work for me and fiercely and unapologetically setting boundaries to guard against distractions. 

From the sweetest spot in my heart to yours, may you win the morning and win the day. 

Audrey xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tears

Rationalilty

Receiving