Analysis Paralysis




My son had one request on the grocery list this week, Cheerios. When I navigated to the cereal aisle and found the Cheerios section, I had to take 3 steps back to take in the full panoramic view of all the options. I looked like a squirrel trying to cross the street. Did you know there are at least 16 flavors of Cheerios? His untimely response to my text put me in the position to make the decision for him, I didn't want to be wrong. To be honest, I almost just grabbed a box of Apple Jacks and called it good. The unanticipated choice overload was far too stimulating.

From the simplest things of choosing the right cereal to choosing the right career path, I can be crippled by data overload. Analysis paralysis is caused by overthinking. The brain is constantly running and creating an immense feeling of overwhelm. The fabrication of "what-if" scenarios sucks me into this vortex. It elevates pressure and fear of not making the right decision.

There is a plethora of available information on the internet which creates a paradox of choice. The more you research, the more choices to screen out. Filtering these rollercoaster options becomes a dizzying business.

So here's the thing, like an immobilizing g-force the antidote, the way out, is to do the opposite of what your overtaxed brain is telling you. In my experience, when I run towards what I fear, I learn that my "what-ifs" never happen.

Exercise:
Talk it over with someone.
Limit your information sources.
Be very clear on your why.  Does it move you closer to your goal?
Tune in and follow your intuition.
Practice making really quick decisions.
Recognize when it is okay to be a little less than perfect.

Ponder this:
What if you just started before you were ready and just figure out the rest on the way and let things fall into place?

My Life's Lesson: Making no decision is very often the worse decision. 

From the sweetest spot in my heart to yours, may your experience, knowledge, and insight guide your decisions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tears

Receiving

Holiday Grief