Gardening




I feel at home in my quiet woods, and I feel consoled by the deep, clear pond as well as the tempestuous ocean. A run through meadows of wildflowers, a hike above treeline, and a dip in a waterfall grotto melts away familiar but most unwelcomed tension. I love nature. It is not easy to block time to connect with nature, even given where I live. I am truly blessed to call this place home.

It is almost planting season. Most seedlings have taken root, reaching capacity and beckoning to be transplanted outdoors into direct sunlight. As we dig into the soil, it becomes a repetitive, meditative process. While the fresh air is incredibly invigorating, at the same time, it is very grounding to spend time planting, pruning and cultivating.

Nurturing plants requires us to cultivate an understanding of the conditions needed to thrive. What type of soil is best? How much sunlight? How much water? What to plant near each other? How to rotate the crops? Do I sound like a farmer’s daughter?  For a while now, my family has this silly tomato growing contest among my dad, my sisters, and myself. My dad plants the seeds then equitably disperses the seedlings.

I will not boast, but I will be transparent; I’ll level the playing field. My tomato plants sit on my south facing deck among window boxes of geraniums and beneath highly frequented birdfeeders; where I sit and read and have a conversation with friends and play a lot of music. I collect and use rainwater, and I plant basil with my tomatoes. They get along better together. Seriously, I really do not view this family tradition as a competition. A flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms.

So here’s the thing, when one plants seeds, they show hope for a future. How you tend to that future is up to you. When you form a partnership with nature, you give back to the earth. You also create space for butterflies, hummingbirds, ladybugs, and other insects. Perhaps a visit from a deer, squirrels, or even a bear. Regardless of whether you are a serious gardener or just a hobbyist, sustainable gardening allows you to become more conscious of your surroundings.

There are so many health benefits to gardening: increase absorption of Vitamin D, build immunity, relieve stress, improve heart health, and muscle dexterity.

Exercise:
Visit your local nursery. Talk with knowledgeable horticulturists and make a plan that is sustainable for you.
Get one container garden.
Plant one patch of sunflowers.
Or reach out and connect with others by participating in a community garden.

Ponder:
  • What is my level of awareness in nature?
  • How can I maintain a more positive influence on my environment?

My Life’s Lesson: Time spent in tandem with nature is never wasted.

From the sweetest spot in my heart to yours, may your week bloom with endless possibilities.
~Audrey xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rationalilty

Receiving

Holiday Grief